I’m surprised it has taken me this long to finally post about the one thing that I have been obsessed with for the past four years! Growing up, I was never a breakfast eater. The only thing I recall my mother could get me to eat on a somewhat regular basis was Quaker Apple Cinnamon Quick Oats. Not the most nutritious breakfast, but at least it wasn’t Pop Tarts!
Once I moved away from home to go to university and started playing varsity soccer, I quickly realized my body needed breakfast to fuel my high energy day. I started eating cereals and granola bars, but it never left me satisfied. Finally I came across smoothies as a quick and easy way to eat breakfast, but also have healthy ingredients to fuel my workouts. Now I can’t get enough!
Insert yourself here taking a big sip!
What I love most about smoothies is that you can easily personalize them to your individual tastes, you can experiment with them, and clean up your fridge of leftover over fruit and vegetables! This recipe is my go-to combination, since we always have these ingredients in our fridge/freezer. I also shared this recipe with my third and fourth graders several weeks ago and they loved it! I added a bit more fruit to make it sweeter for them, but they drank it; greens and all! I hope you enjoy it too!
- one banana
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 3 tbsp of flax oil
- 1 scoop of Trader Joe’s hemp protein powder
- 4 large handfuls of spinach
- 3/4 cup of frozen tropical fruit mix
- 1 cup of coconut water
- Layer the ingredients in your blender in order according to the list above. This makes it easier for the blender to break down the ingredients. In college, I used an immersion blender which works fine as well.
- Blend until a the mixture forms a smooth consistency and enjoy!